For this round of the chain gang, Heather asked,
What plans do YOU have to market your novel? How will you make sure the public finds your work?
Now, I’m an oddball when it comes to this marketing stuff. I think it’s fun. I’m looking forward to it. And I see my willingness and ability to market my work as the number-one thing that can make or break book sales, so I take it very seriously.
Astonishingly, the best book out there on marketing for writers has gone out of print. You can still get it through Amazon.com, though: Guerrilla Marketing for Writers : 100 Weapons to Help You Sell Your Work. I don't often say you must buy a book, but if you're serious about marketing yourself well, you should run, not walk, to get this book.
The other book I've found helpful is Plug Your Book! Online Book Marketing for Authors, Book Publicity through Social Networking.
So what are my strategies for marketing my novel? Here are just a few:
- Creating an author website -- I really believe websites are crucial these days. Right now I am using archetypewriting.com and archetypewriting.blogspot.com, but I do intend to create a site that's a presskit for me as a writer when I get a little closer to having a book out there on the shelves. (If you're wanting a website for yourself and can't code, consider Purple Squirrel Web Design, a company that QueryTracker and RallyStorm programmer Pat McDonald and I recently created. We offer affordable custom designs as well as hosting packages, and soon we'll have up some ultra-affordable U-Design templates that let you pick a site design and customize it to meet your needs.)
- Putting information about my book in my email and message board signatures.
- Letting everyone in my social networks know all about the book
- Letting visitors to the websites I currently run know about my book
- Including links on each of those sites to major online retailers who carry the book, such as Amazon.com, bn.com, etc.
- Use AmazonConnect to personalize the book listing and connect with readers who view it on Amazon.com
- Providing opportunities for readers to purchase personalized, autographed copies directly from me.
- Create a discussion group on rallystorm.com for readers to discuss the book